Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

birthing skirt

I've been thinking about the upcoming labor and birth of this child. One thing that came up was "what to wear?"

I know I want to be comfortable during labor and will probably do most of that at home where I don't care what I have (or don't have) on, but there will come a point where we will have to leave the house and go to the hospital. While I may be comfortable being mostly naked in my home, I'm sure strangers will not appreciate being subjected to the visual of a mostly naked laboring woman.  o_O

While cruising the interwebz, I came across a few mentions of a labor/birthing skirt. It makes sense. You need something that is easy to move around it and is also easy for any monitoring my midwife needs to do (as in "is it time to push yet?"). There is a company that does sell them for $65-$35, but I am not willing to spend that kind of money on something that may be worn once.

So, I decided to make a wrap skirt. I started with this basic pattern and made modifications. I had some olive green rib knit material that I had bought some time ago (because it was cheap), and digging through my stash turned up a complimentary cotton fabric.

The entire thing took a few hours. You can see from the photo that I was too lazy to switch out the white thread on the serger. Oh, the horror! LOL I doubt my doula or midwife will care. The baby certainly won't.  ;-)

1 comments:

BopBop said...

looks great! I'm sure you will be comfy at the hospital! wishing you a Safe and blessed birth!

Post a Comment